Playing sports can lead to aches and pains in your body. Injury may occur, which needs the attention of the doctor for diagnosis and treatment. However, looking for the right doctor to deal with the pain or injury can be cumbersome. Sports injuries can occur, especially if you have not been regularly playing, do not warm up before the game, and play contact sports. When an injury occurs, you need to see a doctor for evaluation and treatment. If you have injuries such as dislocation, sprains, ligament injuries, fractures, and other disorders, your sports medicine specialist in West Orange at Brick City Orthopedics is trained to deal with all the problems of the musculoskeletal system. 

How Do I Know I Need a Sports Medicine Specialist?

Some pain can occur after participating in sports; the pain may, however, go away on its own. But if you are having persistent pain that is interfering with your day-to-day living, visit the doctor for assessment and appropriate treatment. You need the doctor if you experience:

  1. A fracture

When you are involved in a sporting activity, you may hurt your upper arm, shoulder, or wrist. When you fracture your bone, you will feel a lot of pain, and the affected area may swell. Fractured bone can cause you discomfort and a sleepless night. You should, therefore, make an appointment with the doctor for treatment.

  1.           You cannot bear weight on the injured part.

Sometimes you can injure your medial collateral ligament; a sprain or tear on this part happens when the knee bends towards the body when you fall. However, this can be healed with some physical therapies if you feel hurt and cannot bear weight. You should see a doctor.

    iii.            Redness, swelling, numbness, or tingling

When you involve yourself in a sporting activity, you may twist your leg or arm; it may develop bruises and swell, causing pain. This happens typically on the outside of your ankle, but it can also occur inside.

  1. Worsening pain

Many sportspersons injure the iliotibial band, the connective tissue that runs outside the leg from the hip to the knee, and shinbone. The injury may heal with therapies such as ice, rest, and stretching. If it becomes worse, the doctor's help will be required.

  1. If it interferes with daily living

After an injury, you may experience pain in the shoulders, ankle, wrist, or back. The pain may be unbearable when you are using too many muscles; if the pain becomes a hindrance to your day-to-day activities, a sports specialist can help you by offering therapy to keep doing the activities you like.

It does not matter whether you are a skilled sportsperson; injuries are normal and can occur at any time. Injuries can be treated with home remedies such as rest, application of ice, compress using a bandage, or elevating it by keeping the injured area above the heart; this will help healing by draining accumulated fluid away from the affected area. Once the pain subsides, start routine movements to stretch it as this will promote healing. If your condition is serious, you should seek medical help for treatment.

Author's Bio: 

Marina Pal is a renowned author and social media enthusiast.