Towing is a common phenomenon - and people avail the service of companies from time to time, but seldom with the knowledge of the technical aspects hat, the pros consider before taking up the assignment. 

Here on this page, we discuss some of the parameters that these pros would take into consideration before deciding on the towing vehicle. 

The Common Parameters

Technically speaking, towing capability can actually be defined by the weight that the vehicle in question can tow. It is directly determined by the power of the engine, the type of transmission, the total number of drive wheels, and the length of the wheelbase. 



The combination of all these factors, or in other words the collective effect of all these parameters will create a perfect towing scenario. 

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)

It is the maximum weight, which the tow vehicle will be able to drag, when the vehicle in question is fully loaded, and therefore, is one of the first factors that are considered by a car towing service provider in Melbourne like in any other city in Australia and in other parts of the world. 

Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR)

This is a maximum combines tow vehicle weight with the passengers and other equipment, fuel, and other accessories and the trailer. 

Gross Axle Weight Rating

This is the maximum weight that the single axle is capable of carrying. 

Gross Trailer Weight

It is the maximum weight of the trailer with the cargo on it. 

Gross Tongue Weight 

Gross Tongue Weight is the maximum weight, which a coupler exerts on the hitch ball, and it is around 10 per cent of the gross weight of the trailer. 

The towing service providers in Melbourne would also take into account the type or the variety of hitch. There are two types of hitches - one is weight-carrying hitch and the other is weight-distributing hitch. 

While these are the things that the towing company will look for, their customers have their task cut out in the hindsight as well.

Things car owners MUST know: 

  • They need to make sure that they drive their new vehicle at lease for 1000 miles before towing a trailer behind it 
  • Before towing, it is important for people to know their GCWR and maintain it or lower the weight than it, before towing a trailer
  • They have to distribute the weight in the trailer evenly before towing 
  • They also have to make sure that the trailer is properly and adequately loaded as well as balanced to facilitate optimum landing.
  • They need to keep the center of gravity to as minimum as it can be, to help best handling of the trailer
  • Ideally, they should maintain approximately 60% of the total cargo weight in the front portion of the trailer and the rest 40% at the rear. 
  • They should balance the load from side to side to facilitate seamless handling. This also minimise the wear and tear of the tyres.
  • The load has to be secured firmly for preventing its shifting, during braking or cornering, as this will make you lose the control over the trailer all on a sudden. 

Hence you see, all this information will take the two parties in a win-win situation, leading to a seamless and proper end results so far as towing is concerned. 

Author's Bio: 

The author is the owner of a company that is into car towing service in Melbourne. The author is also a regular blogger.