There are a lot of definitions and misconceptions about yoga and what it is all about. If you want to read more you can check resources on online yoga. Broadly, asanas and pranayama are roughly only 5% of Yoga. We ignore the other 95%. There are so many aspects of Yoga and all are related to managing and controlling the mind. Eventually, the mind becomes completely still leading to bliss.

Aspects like meditation and attitudinal changes to be followed are very difficult. However, there is one very simple way to start incorporating yoga in daily life. It is all about building awareness in everything that we do. Awareness is also to be built up about our emotions and reactions to people and situations. There are all areas in life where we can build up awareness. The more aware we become, the more we can improve. Some examples on various fronts are given below:

Physical - Am I getting gradually more heavy? Are there some visible changes happening in terms of becoming thinner or fatter or some changes in complexion? If so, can we figure out why it has happened or what could be the causes? Soon we will be able to establish links and improve physically or even manage effective weight loss just by becoming aware. A good way to start this process of physical awareness is to maintain a diary.

Physiological - Am I feeling bloated or having digestion problems? Or is headache a problem which was not the case before? Do we get lower back or eye strain? There are so many things which happen to us daily. Many a times we ignore all physical discomfort and sometimes we are not even aware unless it is too late. Can we just sit quietly and figure out what is is happening to us and why is it happening? It could be due to wrong eating habits, sitting and working habits or stress. Once we know what we are doing wrong, we can rectify it.

Immunity - There are times when we fall ill during the year. This could be fever, flu or some infection. Are these seasonal in nature or linked to some event or exhaustion? Example if we become aware that we fall ill with too much of exertion, we will know when to balance our work and life and thus fall less ill. Similarly, do we think we are falling ill more than we were five years ago. If so, what could be the reason.

Emotions and Attitudes - There are times when we are angry, anxious, negative, rude, curt, happy, sad or feeling nice. Whether the emotions are negative or positive, we should know what causes these emotions in us and also what is the effect of attitude and emotions. This will help us to at least identify issues and take corrective action whether it is relaxation or counseling.

Mind Management - If we are stressed or anxious or unable to relax, we should become aware when and how this is happening. Once this awareness builds up, half the problem vanishes. Even if it does not we will start looking for solutions or take some professional stress counseling help.

So let us start becoming more aware of our mind and body and we will be on the path to Yoga even without practicing asanas.

Author's Bio: 

Gaurang Chandarana is the founder of He is an MBA by qualification with a former career in the Corporate World. He is a certified Yoga teacher and Counselor and has had a long association with The Yoga Institute (Santacruz) and Kaivalyadhama, Mumbai as a practitioner.
He is also a soft skills trainer and Six Sigma Black Belt and trained, counseled or taught Yoga & disease management and rehabilitation to over 3000 individuals to improve their lives. He has also conducted camps for Ayurveda doctors and Government physical instructors in association with the Government of Gujarat and The Yoga Institute, Santacruz, Mumbai.
He specializes in ancient Indian Psychology and helping individuals to lead a happy life. A combination of various psychological concepts from the 8 core Indian philosophies work in 100% of individuals if they are focused and disciplined. The idea is to continuously improve on all fronts; physical, physiological, emotional, mental & spiritual.