Unfortunately, hit and run accidents are more common than most of us would like to think. Even if you are a careful driver, there is no guarantee someone else won't hit you and run. Although it is illegal to leave the scene of an accident, uninsured motorists and others still flee anyway.

If you are involved in a hit and run accident, the first thing you should do is get as much detail about the other driver as possible. Jot down or memorize the license plate. Take a good look at the car, noting the make, model, color and if it is older or newer. Also try to get a good look at the driver. Every detail, no matter how minor, can help the police or a car accident lawyer in Denver track down the person who hit you. You may eventually need to sue this person in court to recover for the costs and damages resulting from the accident.

You will also need to file a police report. Calling the police from the scene of the accident is not enough. Most insurance companies require you to file an actual report. If the police were not called to the scene of the accident or a report was not made at the accident, go to the nearest police station to file a police report. Before you go, your Denver auto accident attorney will walk you through the steps.

After you file a police report, you should retain a car accident lawyer if you haven't already done so. Your auto accident attorney in Denver can help you file a claim with your insurance company, which can be an uphill battle if you did not have uninsured and/or underinsured coverage as part of your insurance policy.

If you can make an uninsured/underinsured claim in Denver as part of your insurance policy, your insurance company will have to cover the damage and associated costs even if the person who hit you is never found, doesn't have insurance or was carrying insufficient insurance. Your car accident lawyer can help you determine whether you are carrying this additional insurance and if insurance company has to cover the balance. Even if you do not have uninsured/underinsured or collision coverage, your auto accident attorney may still be able to find a way to make your insurance pay.

Lastly, you will need to get your car fixed. Take your car to a number of local, certified repair shops to get estimates for yourself and your insurance company. Your insurance company or auto accident attorney may also be able to provide you a list of body shops' names and addresses. Alternatively, you can wait for an adjuster for your insurance company, but that can take several days.

Depending on your situation, you may also need to get a rental. This may be covered under your insurance policy or you may be required to pay out-of-pocket.

In this article Jonathon Blocker writes about

car accident lawyer and

motorcycle lawyer

Author's Bio: 

Jonathan Blocker is an avid business and travel writer. He has been traveling on commercial airlines and air charters for several years.