Well then, it’s time to amend your tax return!

We try to prepare your tax returns correctly - the first time! Once in a while, an error occurs. For instance, sometimes a 1099 shows up in September after your return is filed. Here’s what you can do: Avenge with an Amend

In most cases, the IRS automatically corrects mathematical errors or missing forms but if you made a mistake on your filing status, dependents, total income, deductions, or credits - amend! It is also important to amend your return if you are eligible for the new first-time homebuyer credit, which can be up to $8000, for a 2009 home purchase. You don’t have to wait until next year!

So how do you accomplish such an “amendment”? It’s simple! Use form 1040X, the Amended U.S. Individual Tax Return to correct previously filed taxes. Don’t forget to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of the form! Detailed instructions are available at irs.gov or by calling 800-tax-form. Good luck!

We’d love to add you to our list, where we send out bookkeeping and tax saving ideas as well as good business building practices. Visit: www.rimbergonlinebookkeeping.com to sign up.

Author's Bio: 

Accounting and bookkeeping expert, Robert Rimberg, CPA and President of Robert Rimberg and Accounting LLC, is known for creating simple solutions to help small to mid-sized companies achieve success. Rimberg founded Rimberg and Associates LLC, an accounting and bookkeeping firm, in 1985 to help a broad range of businesses from different industries effectively grow their businesses.