According to a recent survey by, entry-level jobs have increased by 22 percent from last year. That’s the highest percentage in 3 years. So, if you are a recent college graduate and have given up on finding that entry-level job, it is time to get off your “buts”.

• But, there are no jobs.
• But, I’ve sent my resume out EVERYWHERE.
• But, I can’t afford to live on my own.

To start, there are jobs. They may not be the “dream” job or the highest paying. Entry-level means just that. You will not be Vice President of Marketing until you have paid your dues. Get into a company that interests you and work your way up. Or, get into a job where you can make the right connections. At ANY level, it is much easier to find a job when you have a job.

If you are saying you have sent your resume out EVERYWHERE, then you do not have an understanding of how today’s job search works. Only approximately 10% of available jobs are advertised. That leaves 90% of available jobs that require a different approach than scouring the job boards. Today’s search is not only about finding a job, but putting yourself out there to be found. You need a strategic plan for both.

Lastly, a person is much more motivated to secure an income when they are responsible and accountable. If you have bills to pay, you will be motivated to pay them. Find a roommate or two, get out on your own and take responsibility for your rent, phone, electric, and cable bills. Responsibility is a great motivator.

Author's Bio: 

Michelle A. Riklan, ACRW, CPRW, CEIC Résumés that land on the top of the pile! Coaching that puts you ahead of the competition. Training that ensures career advancement. We want you to reach your top potential!