As you already know, marriage is a legal contract where two people obligate themselves as partners, presumably for life.

However, marriage doesn’t always last forever -- and when one spouse ends it, he or she still has certain contractual obligations to the other.

The law does not allow men or women to simply walk away from the union without potential responsibility for the other’s welfare.

Also called spousal support or spousal maintenance, in most states and locales you have a right to it if your spouse’s income is more than yours or if you need time to get back on your feet after the divorce has settled, among other statutory factors the court considers.

Women in long-term marriages and partnerships are more likely to receive support than those in marriages that last only a few years.

Rehabilitative support is the most common, ordered for a limited period of time so you may go back to school or otherwise acquire job skills to improve your income.

You may ask for support as soon as one of you files for divorce as a temporary orders and you may also seek permanent maintenance when a final order is entered.

If you and your husband invested in a home while you were married, you usually have a right to a portion of its equity, regardless of who made mortgage payments. As with any case there may be exceptions to the division of marital property, so it is imperative you seek legal counsel to determine what is separate and what is marital.

Provided you have children and you’re the custodial parent, you may ask the court to award you possession of your home while your divorce is pending.

When a home is only in one party’s name, a temporary injunction, upon filing prohibits the sale of this property without your permission.

Even if your spouse never made any cash contributions to his pension benefits during your marriage, you are usually entitled to a portion of what accrued between the date of your wedding and the time you break up.

Pensions and retirement benefits are a part of ‘marital property’, just like your home and other investments.

So calculating your share can be a complex equation and is best left to experts, but you do have the right to a percentage of their value.

Colorado may allow you to suffer a slight disadvantage in divorce proceedings because your spouse is able to afford a top attorney and you have no money to retain one of your own; however, you should seek a court order to provide you with legal representation to be on the same footing as your spouse.

Alternatively, one such person, Rene Capron, an Aurora divorce attorney and family law lawyer, is an advocate for women in divorce who may be uneducated or feel pressured into signing papers their husbands give to them, and are told to do so to avoid seeking an attorney and to “keep it clean”, and as such Rene has spoken on several local forums and press about women’s rights through divorce.

Here are one and are two LIVE segments that stand out from recent interviews where Ms. Capron discusses the legal issues and challenges women face in the divorce process, and how to overcome those challenges.

Provided you’re a woman going through divorce, child custody, visitation rights, and child support, and you live in the South Metro Denver area, you may want to contact Rene Capron, to be your Aurora divorce attorney to protect your rights.

For more information on family law and divorce matters, contact Rene Capron your Aurora divorce attorney of Capron Law, LLC in Aurora, Colorado.

Author's Bio: 

For more information on family law and divorce matters, contact Rene Capron your Aurora divorce attorney of Capron Law, LLC in Aurora, Colorado.