“Having fewer nuts does not make us better squirrels…”

Given our druthers, most of us would choose to be financially independent, comfortable and free of worry about money. Most still have that choice. It’s not too late, but a shift may need to occur…

Though it’s always been available to most, it seems odd that only 5% of our population is able to achieve and sustain the distinction of being financially free during their lifetimes. Why is that the case? How is it possible that only 5% receive membership to this group? Why are the other 95% of us unable to accomplish something which is so vitally important and has such a significant impact on our lives?

The answers seem to arrive after inspection of varying perspectives….

As we know, there’s an element of discipline around money that’s missing for many people. For them, bad habits just seem to take control and then repeat themselves when it comes to this subject. It’s a spender’s mentality and perpetually exceeding our means is a vicious trap.

Certainly, expensive material things, vacations and other enjoyment based targets for our money bring immediate gratification for many. These items create a sense of enjoyment for a time, at least until the other cost to be paid in addition to what was on the price tag comes due.
That second bill to be paid is the eventual suffering which comes in the form of concern, worry and stress. So we truly end up paying twice. And both forms of payment can linger for the very long term.

When unintelligent behavior around money becomes habit, there’s a tendency to generate unmanageable debt. Once that occurs, thoughts of sound financial planning and execution become so routinely postponed that, over time, they’re not even a consideration anymore; no longer an option. The ideas of “paying yourself first”, hanging onto money and the security those principles would’ve provided can be eliminated, possibly forever, if we’re not careful.

The 5%ers seem to be able to recognize the money big picture better than the others and are guided by their awareness of how money can work for and against them, if not smart. So, as they operate, they’re fully conscious of this. Their understanding of what to do and things to avoid makes good decision making virtually effortless. And they subsequently develop good habits around money.

We believe that the shift for members of the 95% group begins by acknowledging that a level of pain is being endured constantly. When pain exists, concern and worry about money is almost always present, permanently residing just below the surface of daily thoughts and emotions. This suffering is rarely offset by any joy the things or entertainment bring, especially when they’re paid for twice; at the register and then joined later by the additional oncoming pain.

Frankly, once gotten the hang of it, much satisfaction comes from doing intelligent things with money. But first, the focus of enjoyment must shift from a “stuff” mentality to one more aligned with financial security and well being. Realizing that security doesn’t have a hidden cost like the other approach begins the creation of a new perspective within. The joy now comes from an entirely different but healthier source. Discipline and intelligence can now prevail. Financial independence and working towards it brings its own satisfaction, true feelings of enjoyment, without the pain.

Financial security and less stressful lives are gifts that most people desire. The decision to provide these gifts to ourselves is a conscious choice that each of us can make at any time. It requires a shift from one perspective to another but we’re all worth it and everybody deserves them!!

Author's Bio: 

Owens Consulting Group founder Mathew Owens is a California licensed CPA and a full time real estate investor. He has completed over 100 transactions in the past three years, representing approximately $10 million in real estate, most of which has been sold to cash flow investors. He does multiple live educational events and online webinars. Find out more info about him and his blogs at http://www.ocgproperties.com